The outdoor hanging chair is the new hammock, the new rocking chair, and the new porch swing all wrapped into one! I’ve rounded up 11 of our favorite hanging chairs, (including hanging chairs with a stand!) so you can step your summer time game up to a whole new level!
At the bottom of the post I shared which hanging chair we ended up choosing – along with photos. It is officially the most fought over seat- although my kids fight over anything so I suppose that doesn’t say much.
This post is about finding an outdoor swing chair – for indoor hanging chairs you can take a peek at our hanging chairs in our playroom!
11 Outdoor Hanging Chairs I Fell In Love With
Some of my links may be affiliate links, at no cost to you. Thanks for supporting my blog, as this blog is my business! I hope you find this post informative.
Everyone needs to experience the cocoon like structure that will gently swing you all summer long. I rounded up 11 of the prettiest, most well reviewed outdoor hanging chairs for you here.
Tip: If you are hanging your chair yourself, see my tutorial for how to install a hanging chair here. Make sure you give it enough space away from any walls so you can gently swing!
Update: Three of the outdoor swing chairs are out of stock, I marked underneath the graphic which ones are out of stock!
Click To Shop Or Scroll For Descriptions:
- Serena and Lily Outdoor Hanging Chair: This is the chair we have on our covered porch! More pictures at the bottom of this post. Weather friendly materials, a super durable and pretty rope- this checks all the boxes. The material has held up really well in our North Carolina weather. What more could you need? Oh… a colorful pillow and a cold beverage.
- Bayou Breeze Berkshire Swing Chair : The most affordable swinging chair! Under $300, this is the lowest priced hanging chair I found with good reviews. Such a cute shape on this one, with a pop of color for the cushion! Typically this one has a few different colors to choose from, although richt now they are out of stock of a few choices. What a bargain!
- Swing Chair With Stand: This big round chair would look amazing hung up in a backyard! I love the white. This one looks extra roomy. If you would prefer this on a stand, see number 6 below
- Pod Hanging Chair: Take a peek at all those happy reviews! If I didn’t purchase the one I did, this was my next choice. Made of faux wicker so that it can look beautiful but be durable for the elements– this chair combines beautiful form and function. This one looks extra sturdy to me because of the thicker material.
- Capistrano Outdoor Hanging Chair with Stand A splurge but for a reason! The most beautiful outdoor swing chair on a stand alone stand made to endure the outdoor elements. No installation needed for this beauty!
- Modway Hide Swing Hammock Chair The “save” version of the above. The frame is steel and the cushion is washable– this one looks like a winner!
- Troy Hanging Chair Natural: (Currently out of stock) Such a lovely chair! It does list it as made of rattan and wicker, but it says it is for the outdoors. This hanging chair isn’t overly wide so it could fit in a smaller space than some of the other more wider chairs.
- Patio Hanging Egg Chair: Chic and modern on the patio, with a cushion for comfort that is approved for outdoor use! I could totally curl up in this chair with a glass of wine.
- Weynouth Stand Along Swing Chair: This one looks comfortable! Would look great on a deck. Bonus that it doesn’t need mounting. Right out of the box you’re good to go!
11. Luxury 2 Person Swing Chair: This looks amazing! So big and comfy, and it comes with the cushion in several different colors. I would love this out one our patio!
12. Swing Chair Lots of 5 star reviews for this cute swing chair that comes with a thick cushion made out of Sunbreall fabric! The cushion is detachable, which is nice. I can see this out on a covered porch for sure.
Our Outdoor Hanging Chair On Our Porch
Want to see which one we picked??
Well I already gave it away, but we went with number one on my list, the white hanging porch chair. I know, I know, it’s the perfect spot to hide out from the kids. Yes you can come over. You’ll have to wait your turn for the new chair though.
Don’t you think this porch would have looked great with 3 hanging porch chairs all lined up in a row? Basically, I want to replace all our regular chairs with hanging swing chairs now. Tragically, I couldn’t get my husband to go for that.
Scroll to Get The Look:
How Did You Install Your Outdoor Hanging Chair?
Our ceiling has this pretty tongue and groove ceiling treatment. I was nervous to drill into it for fear I would miss the joist and have to drill multiple holes, or split the pretty wood. Actually that wasn’t a fear- this was a likely prediction. For that reason I hired the hanging portion of the job out.
I watched our handyman put it up– he simply found the ceiling joist and drilled into it, hanging the chair on an S hook up to 350lbs. Looks like all 4 of my kids can climb in together now, even with a friend! Just kidding, I would never allow that. This chair is mine.
It came with the rope but no hardware, however. We tied the rope to the S hook with a double bowline knot.
Is Your Hanging Porch Chair Comfortable?
This is the most commonly asked question I get. YES. It is indeed, with or without outdoor pillows. But of course you want pillows to make it look cute!
When I am in the hanging chair I prefer a small pillow next to me to rest my elbow on so I feel more tucked up in a nook. It’s also nice with a pillow behind your back, just like in a rocking chair. It’s comfortable for your seat, so I don’t like a pillow under me. But if you like you could try a pillow pad (made of Sunbrella) to sit on.
Scroll Through 9 Happy Outdoor Pillows:
See 1 Affordable & Adorable Outdoor Pouf:
Can I Put My Indoor Chair Outside?
If this is for outside or a porch make sure you buy a specified outdoor hanging chair. Hanging chairs for indoors are often made from a different materials. All of the chairs I recommended are specified for outdoor.
Some swings may look like outdoor swings, but they are made of rattan. Rattan is tricky, because plenty of people do use rattan outside, depending on their geographical location. Rattan isn’t actually an outdoor material. If the swing were under a covered porch protected from the elements in a location without heavy humidity, it might last all right. If you really wanted to keep a rattan swing outdoors, your best bet would be to keep it on an S hook that you can take off and store away part of the year.
Make sure you hang your hanging chair in the shade because you will be spending a lot of time here. I hope you find this post helpful! I love the hanging chair trend and I think it’s here to stay!
Shop Our Porch Here:
You Might Also Like: