The rose napkin fold is one of the easier napkin folding techniques, and you can learn this in 30 seconds. Every holiday table needs a conversation piece or an ice breaker, and this rose napkin fold is a great holiday or Christmas table setting addition!
Cloth napkins work best; I prefer at least medium weight cotton so that the fabric stays put. If your napkins are wrinkled, run a hot iron over them quickly before you begin!
30 Seconds To Learn A Rose Napkin Fold
The rose napkin fold is a great “starter” technique if you are new to napkin folds, as the technique is simple and the rose is very forgiving. If you feel like your table is missing a little something… watch this 30 second video. Practice makes perfect, but I found this fairly simple to learn quickly.
How To Fold Napkin Into A Rose
Watch that 30 second video if you like – I also included step by step instructions. Scroll down and take a peek of how I incorporated my napkin rose fold into my modern Christmas table setting!
- Cloth Napkins
- Fold your napkin into a simple triangle.
- Fold the triangle up, starting from the bottom. Stop folding about two-thirds of the way up.
- Your triangle now has a tail accross the bottom. Starting at the right end of the tail, begin rolling the tail carefully over, until you have almost rolled it all the way up but not quite.
- Take the portion of the tail that is not rolled up and tuck it into the bottom outer layer. Tuck it in nice and smooth so it doesn't pop out.
- At the top part of the napkin are two larger pieces of napkins that are the "petals" or "leaves". Pull these each down. Flip the whole napkin over and pull out the petals gently until it is the shape you want!
Modern Christmas Table Setting Ideas Using Rose Napkin Fold
I used this rose in my modern Christmas table setting below. Except for my new cloth napkins with little pompoms, I tried to use what I had on hand. Everything on this table is under $25 (most well under) and easy on the wallet!
My favorite are the pom pom napkins… they reminded me of Anthropologie without the price tag. They are thick enough to work great for napkin folding techniques. I put them in the center of the plates- they would also look great curled up in a soup bowl or a teacup if this was a lunch.
Simple tapered candle sticks are a must for a pretty table setting. Mine are a little traditional. I also like these modern ones from Amazon.
Keep It Simple But Never Boring
Between the rose napkin and the fairly lights, none of this is too complicated but it has a little magic to it! Think outside the box when it comes to your table setting. If you will have children at the table, a napkin fold will entertain them!
Ideas To Use With Our Modern Christmas Table Setting:
table / side chairs / end Chairs / our plates and bowls (similar and more affordable version here) / mini wreaths with black and white ribbon from Target dollar spot / white bottle brush trees here or here / table runner /. pom pom napkins / tapered candle holders / eucalyptus garland / fairy lights
If you liked this post you might also like:
A rose napkin fold is an opportunity to stand out and make your table memorable. I hope you found this as fun and as easy as I did!