Choosing a Pikler Triangle is overwhelming when you don’t know where to start! There are a ton of options in 2022 – because although the toy is trending, it’s been around for decades! Let my experience (as a mom of 4) guide you in the right direction.
What is a Pikler Triangle?
This post is not sponsored. I am sharing where we found our triangle and accessories, rounding up 4 other Pikler Triangles from various price points I like. Also a few buying tips, ages, and FAQ.
The Pikler Triangle is associated with Montessori, but it is based on observations of Dr. Pikler, who believed in learning through play, apart from their parents.
Leo (age 5) and Camille (age 3)
We now have the Large size.
5 Places To Buy the Pikler Triangle and Pikler Triangle Accessories
As the Pikler has grown in popularity, there are so many shops popping up it’s hard to know what’s the best.
The Wiwiurka Pikler
We are very happy with our Pikler and accessories from Wiwiurka’s shop. This brand name was popping up repeatedly in my Montessori mom’s group and the reviews gave me the confidence to order!
- We started with just the Pikler Triangle, and later as our kids grew we went back and bought the other ramps and accessories.
- No rough edges or splintering. It is a professional set and the quality backs it up.
- Our Pikler has a safety “stop” that you screw in that stops the triangle from folding up when your child is playing on it.
Their shop has gown and they offer more options than when we first purchased. Shop any of our pieces from Wiwiurka here.
4 More Places To Buy A Pikler Triangle
- Wiwiurka This is the adorable store we bought everything from
- Lily and River Yay for a US based company! Out of Phoenix Arizona, this popular company makes Pikler Triangles, balance boards, balance beams, and more wooden toys. I’ve also heard good reviews of this shop from Montessori friends. Check the measurements though, they are shorter than other brands of Pikler.
- Home For Dreams Another well reviewed (albeit expensive) shop. They make some crazy fun add ons, and toddle jungle gyms! This ships from the country of Georgia, not the state.
- Happy Moon Reasonably priced in comparison and popular.
- RADs Kids Furniture Another American company, this shop keeps things simple. No rainbow colored sets here but high quality for sure.
- Amazon Fastest delivery if you are looking for something quick. They also sell the rockers and ramps. I have no experience with Amazon piklers, but plenty have gone this route happily. My advice would remain the same, check reviews and make safety a priority over price.
Tips When Shopping:
- Buy a Pikler that collapses (they take up a LOT of room – but when folded it’s nothing and can slide under sofas, etc.)
- Make sure it offers a safety stop
- Don’t skimp safety to save a few bucks, better to buy less accessories and one high quality Pikler
- Choose a shop that also sells the accessories you want or eventually want, as you will want to play with them all together and they “attach” to each other.
- If you don’t know where to start with toddlers, I would recommend a medium so it will grow with your child. Pay attention to size – you don’t want smaller than 30″ unfolded.
Pikler Triangle Accessories To Know About
We have a few of the cool accessories that have kept my older children’s interest as they age, and you can create a lot of different variations. All of ours are from Wiwiurka:
- this large sized Pikler Triangle
- a double sided ramp – one has a rock wall on one side, and a slide on the other
- the Climbing Arch *a FAVORITE of our older kids
- a wooden bridge that connects the arch and the triangle
What Pikler Triangle ages are best?
As a mom of 4 kids, we started our babies out around six months old with just the Pikler.
So, for example, before six months, your baby will lie around and under the Pikler, growing familiar with it. As babies over six months grow and show interest in pulling up on things around them, they will reach and pull up on the rungs. Babies actually learn to climb before learning to stand up, (amazing, right?) so this timing is right in line with their skill set!
Older children play on the Pikler in different ways, and this is when we added accessories. The Pikler is not a toy that my kids outgrow in a season.
I would say our kids were fairly over the whole sh’bang around 6 years old.
Are Pikler Triangles Safe?
Letting your child explore on their own terms is a different concept from unsupervised play. The Pikler Triangle goes in a communal area with you near by. I don’t hover, but I’m also close by.
Playing on the Pikler won’t encourage your tot to start climbing walls more than they already do. But it will give your child a more developmentally appropriate place to climb while fostering their physical skills. This includes teaching them coordination, grip strength, balance and limits. The idea is all about empowering children to safely explore what their body is capable of, independently of their parents.
A child with balance and an extra dose of confidence? Yes please!
Camille, above, is 3 years old.
Our Playroom Tour
Our Playroom is our attic space that we finished for the kids’ playroom. I have photos and more information about the whole space here.
We also love our Nugget Comfort, another imaginative toy that my kids aged along with the Pikler.
What About A Pikler Triangle DIY?
Yes, it is costly to go out and buy a Pikler. Especially one made of high quality materials. If you are looking for a good Pikler Triangle DIY instructions, I’m not too handy with the toolbox and I don’t have the patience!
A good set of Pikler Triangle DIY instructions can be found on Youtube. You can even find woodworking printable plans with tutorials on how to build a foldable Pikler Triangle and a climbing wall! I know my limits, so this is not for me.
Summing Up Why the Pikler Triangle is Worth the Investment:
- As your babe is learning to pull up, crawl, and climb, the Pikler Triangle encourages physical abilities like gross motor skills and balance. It also supports concentration, independence and even grip strength (needed in school for activities like holding pencils).
- “Conquering” the Pikler Triangle gave my babes confidence that we couldn’t teach them. They beamed with pride and tiny baby confidence at the top, because they did something hard on their own!
- Our kids are age 3 through 10, and I still find this is an invaluable tool that we get use out of. My kids have grown up with the Pikler. They lost interest in the triangle around age 6, but they continued to play with their climbing arch and use the ramps in other ways.
- We LOVE active imaginative toys that don’t have batteries, sounds, or screens! As your children age, the Pikler (and some of the cool accessories) foster their developing imagination in ways a battery-operated toy doesn’t.
- Ours folds up and slides under or behind furniture. When shopping for yours, make sure you not only find a high quality Pikler that is safe, but one that can fold up. Or, if you decide to go with the Pikler Triangle, DIY, make sure you build one that folds up!
Items Around Our Playroom:
You Will Also Love Reading:
I hope explaining our experience with the Pikler Triangle helped you. We have been very happy and feel safe with our Pikler Triangle.